Our team builds a permissionless, inclusive, global financial platform through the power of exotic math. Our flagship product, the Zcash reference client, allows people to transact with our cryptocurrency, Zcash (ZEC). The right applicant will cultivate our team and continue our tradition of releasing secure cutting edge cryptographic software.
We are a high functioning team greater than the sum of its parts, with people that create a supportive environment and demonstrate conscientiousness. We have a strong ethos of professional conduct, which requires empathy and emotional intelligence to collaborate well with people of widely different backgrounds, personalities, and skill sets.
We have made progress on upgrading our cryptocurrency to make our computationally intensive privacy features efficient enough to run on mobile devices. This upgrade is set to release in late October, and we want to increase adoption of those privacy features.
As our first Android developer, you will first work with a team of designers, protocol designers, and backend engineers to build a mobile reference wallet. We hope that this reference wallet allows the zcash community developers to build their own Zcash clients. We have not committed to building and supporting our own product yet, but that could be what’s next. We are also excited by the possibility of applications that highlight unique features of our cryptocurrency.
We’re flexible, but we’re looking for someone with experience developing professional-grade Android applications. When applying, list applications you have worked on so we can take a look.
REQUIREMENTS AND EXPECTATIONS
- US Permanent Residents or Citizens only
- Experience with Java/C/C++
- Professional software engineering experience
- Familiarity with best practices for the entire SDLC
- Familiarity with common design patterns
- Working with cross functional teams
- Management of your own projects
- Being a technical resource for other team members
- Providing code reviews and pull-request reviews
- Help recruit, assess, and mentor new candidates
BENEFITS WE OFFER
- Strong compensation with competitive base (USD) and equity (ZEC)
- Excellent health insurance coverage with company paid monthly premiums
- Opportunity to work on projects with potential for global transformation
- A highly seasoned team that knows cryptocurrency and cryptography
- Time for self-determined projects that can potentially benefit the company
OUR ETHOS, LOGOS AND PATHOS
- Design for security, efficiency, consistency, clarity, reusability, and extensibility.
- Understand business challenges and treat lines of code as business decisions.
- Iterate and ship code as quickly as it is possible to maintain quality.
- Maintain system quality using automated QA techniques.
- Approach software design with “systems thinking.”
- Reduce complexity and simplify whenever possible.
- Don’t optimize too early. Make code correct first, fast second.
- Choose elements with low external complexity and high internal complexity.
- Comment the intent of the code, not what it’s doing.
- Write code defensively and be a little paranoid about potential attacks.
- Deal with problems early to keep technical debt low. Refactor often.
- Actively seek criticism and give feedback with caution and care for each other.
- We continuously codify the lessons learned and incorporate them into the codebase.
WHY TAKE THIS JOB? WHY NOT JOIN SOME OTHER STARTUP? HERE ARE A FEW REASONS:
- We’re well-funded. As precarious as the crypto markets may be, we have a multi-year runway and we are working to increase the runway by diversifying income streams.
- We believe in self-care. Our CTO just got back from parental leave, and we move meetings for colleagues’ personal obligations. Your life comes first.
Flexible work arrangements. You can live where you want, or work from our Denver office. If you would like to move to Denver, we pay for relocation.
To apply specifying this position, your resume, and list of previous android applications you’ve contributed to.