NEAR is a sharded, developer-friendly, proof-of-stake public blockchain, built by a world-class team that has built some of the world's only sharded databases at scale.
We are looking for a talented, meticulous, and productive person who loves working in an energetic and free-thinking environment, feels comfortable challenging opinions, and most importantly who shares with us the same desire to make the web free again.
The NEAR Protocol Engineering team is looking for an engineer to work on the protocol specification and its implementation in Rust. You will be working with complex concurrent systems, low-level code, complicated state machines, and novel algorithms. You will be expected to fully own various components and drive their implementation from beginning to end, including the design, the implementation, the maintenance, and the documentation. You will be surrounded by highly productive and meticulous engineers who will be holding you to the same standards.
- Fluency with algorithms and data structures
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies fast
- Excellent coding skills
- Ability to go from design to implementation fast
- Good communication skills
- Experience with Rust or alternatively but less preferred C++ or Go
- Experience with concurrency or parallelism
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with internals of other blockchains
- Knowledge of cryptography
- Knowledge of compilers or virtual machines
- Knowledge of networks or operating systems
- Communication and collaboration with a fully distributed team
- Design and implementation of various complex Rust components
- End-to-end ownership of various components
- Design of new protocol changes
- Performance tuning and optimizations
About NEAR and the NEAR Collective
NEAR's mission is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world. The NEAR platform provides a decentralized application platform that is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands.
The NEAR platform, NEAR Protocol and associated tooling are being built by the NEAR Collective, a collection of the best engineers in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 2 gold medalists, a Latin American champion and multiple other competitive programming finalists.
Working at NEAR
Roles are posted to this portal on behalf of the companies that make up the NEAR Collective and are typically located anywhere in the world because most of the companies are fully remote. Some hubs are located in Switzerland, Germany, Russia, the US and China. Regardless of where you work, this is a high performance culture that values ownership, execution and professionalism but pairs it with curiosity and experimentation. The vision is big but the right team is behind it.