Cryptocurrency Investigations Specialist
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 392 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Global Investigations (GI), Financial Crimes Intelligence and Investigations (FCII) is seeking a highly talented, self-motivated, and analytical individual to support the Global Financial Crime & Customer Protection program. This position will be primarily responsible for conducting complex investigations into incidents of fraud, money laundering, and other high risk typologies involving the illicit use of cryptocurrency, analyze large data sets, identify financial crime patterns, collaborate with Compliance Investigations, identifying trends and emerging threats, and typologies; and proactively work with internal and external partners, including law enforcement. Additionally, the role will include understanding holistic risk and identify global risk patterns, and reporting financial intelligence information to detect, deter, and mitigate financial crimes. This role also requires a self-starter with the ability to think critically and strategically when handling investigations, seeing beyond the initial facts presented and reviewing information thoroughly and in a highly organized manner to drive the investigation to conclusion. Having the ability to operate independently, manage multiple competing priorities with difficult deadlines, and exhibit a sense of urgency when necessary is a must.
- Provide investigative support with initiatives and projects to identify patterns, trending, and typologies in furtherance of the mission and purpose of the Global Investigations team.
- Conduct comprehensive, high quality end-to-end complex investigations to identify financial crime patterns, trending, and typologies impacting PayPal and the global user community.
- Drive investigations to a timely conclusion following the completion of a comprehensive analysis of information across multiple platforms and jurisdictions to timely and appropriately detect potentially suspicious activity and fulfill time-sensitive regulatory filing obligations; prepare drafts of Suspicious Activity Reports/STRs to ensure they are factually accurate and materially sound prior to submitting them for approval for filing;
- Identify broader policy and product issues related to cryptocurrency activity, in the scope of critically analyzing investigative leads and root cause.
- Research and analyze current and emerging trends involving cryptocurrency and other digital assets
- Deliver verbal and written briefings to partner departments and key leaders regarding current and emerging threats with cryptocurrency.
- Engage and partner with internal stakeholders and external partners in thinking and acting critically to identify opportunities for collaboration, raise awareness of investigative findings, and develop recommendations to mitigate risk.
- Investigators should stay current with internal policy changes and industry practices and should seek opportunities to participate in enhancing current policies and controls in support of the mission and purpose of the Global Investigations team.
- Other related tasks as required
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years anti-money laundering, complex financial crime, trans-national organized crime investigative experience; and or
- 3+ years Intelligence Analysis or Law Enforcement experience working financial crimes;
- Proven knowledge of international and regional Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions regulations and guidance such as Bank Secrecy Act (US), and US Patriot Act
- Advanced data query and analysis skills (SQL, SAS, Teradata, Hadoop, etc.)
- CAMS designation a plus.
- Travel, as needed.
- Advanced research and analytical skills, business acumen, strategic and creative thinking, strong project leadership skills and multi-tasking capabilities;
- Expert oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex information accurately, clearly and quickly to all levels of management.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced and dynamic financial services environment;
- Provide suggestions and demonstrate problem solving abilities.
- Excellent project management, organizational, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure and make sound decisions.
- Display a high level of professional judgment, commitment, integrity, and teamwork.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to positively influence teams through a climate of change.
- Results oriented with the ability to identify the long-term effects of decisions/solutions on customers and the business.
- Proficient in the use of a personal computer and its applications, including Windows and Windows based applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.).
Our world-class culture is something we’re proud of. We’re committed to creating a thriving and inclusive workplace with great benefits including:
- Excellent medical and dental benefits
- Competitive salary
- Savings plans with company match / Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Generous time off policies
- Ongoing training, tuition reimbursement and support to help you realize your full career potential
- Community fundraising and volunteer opportunities
- PayPal’s sabbatical program provides four weeks of paid time off after every five years of service.
- Active social groups
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected]