At IOHK, we are at the forefront of cascading disruption. It’s a big mission and one that can only be achieved with the help of the best people in the industry. We are proud of the diversity that our organization already has. Our company is comprised of people from all around the globe, united in a common goal to achieve our aims of scalability, interoperability, and sustainability of complex systems.
As the DevOps Lead you will work within the Engineering division to mentor and support our software engineers to integrate DevOps principles into their day-to-day development cycles You will be hands-on, providing strong leadership to the teams, while working collaboration closely with the Engineering, Operations, Product Management, Marketing & Communications teams. Your primary goal will be to develop processes that ensure quick delivery and regular product updates to our users with a focus on continual improvement and learning
Wherever you decide to work, you will be supported by and be part of IOHKs remote work culture that emphasizes online communication via Trello, Slack, GitHub, Hangouts.
This role involves:
- Championing the DevOps methodology and associated processes & tools finding ways make tasks more efficient while eliminating blockers and dependencies.
- Collaborate with and support a team of developers, testers & production operators to optimize the development process.
- Reduce barriers and improve communication between team members in development and production operations to build supportable and maintainable platforms.
- Develop automation to quickly and accurately test and promote software (continuous deployment)
- Work with our teams to address skills gaps and capacity requirements
- Design & support the build, deployment & configuration management for multi-tier applications
- Manage team responsible for providing 24x7 critical infrastructure support and act as escalation point in emergency circumstances
- Support the integration between multiple applications & services in the cloud.
- Participate in building tools and processes to support company infrastructure. Improve and maintain tooling and scripts for automation
- Maintain a business continuity plan (BCP) for development environments including backup and recovery
- Manage the ‘build and deployment cycles’ across all development environments
- Use security and performance monitoring to identity and solve IT infrastructure problems
- Drive the strategy, design and implementation of solutions that improve the stability, scalability, availability and latency of the company’s IT infrastructure and services
- Working with cloud & internet providers to get best service for the company and its clients.
- Administer and secure infrastructure (firewalls & network security) consistent with development operations goals
- Work closely with Product Managers and other internal clients to ensure alignment with IOHK’s priorities
Line Management Responsibilities
- You will be a technical leader to a small agile team of 4-8 software engineers with advanced DevOps Skills
- Identify and grow talent within your team. Participate in recruiting, mentoring and training developers and DevOps colleagues to support the operations of all platforms
- Assess individual performance, recognizing and promoting excellent performance, and address underperformance
- Design, develop, and unit test applications in accordance with established standards.
- Contribute to IOHK’s growth through interviewing, onboarding and other recruitment efforts.
Skills & Requirements - we expect to see:
- Fluency in Linux environments
- A strong technical foundation in build, release and development environments
- Scripting and/or programming skills and the ability to develop custom tool integrations
- Experience of multiple version control systems, including Git
- Experience with performance testing and analysis using Thread Scope, Perf (Linux) JMeter, Grinder, LoadRunner or similar
- Experience maintaining bug tracking, code review, coverage analysis, agile tracking and testing tools
- Experience with continuous integration tools
- Experience with Infrastructure provisioning tools e.g. Nix, NixOps, Apache Maven, Terraform and AWS CLI
- Experience administering application servers, servlet containers, and web servers
- Strong experience with unit testing and automated testing tools
- Experience with AWS, Google Compute or other cloud provider is a requirement
- ITIL Security Management and Production Support experience highly desirable.
- Cloud Security certifications e.g. CCSK, CCSP desirable
- Possesses the ability to interpret data and make difficult decisions that will shape the strategy of our DevOps team.
- Apply reason to complex & abstract problems.
- Lead by example and inspire.
- Be customer focused and business oriented
- Have excellent communication and stakeholder management skills;
- Proactively managing issues and identifying opportunities to mitigate and prevent them.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or related engineering/science fields or equivalent commercial experience.
- 10 years’ experience which includes:
- 5+ years as a system administrator on Linux based systems
- 2+ years leading or managing an operations team with 24/7 SLA
- 5+ years of technical leadership in complex projects in a DevOps or development capacity
- Hands-on experience with Agile methodologies.
- Deep understanding of Application Development Processes.
- Deep technical understanding of blockchain and Cryptocurrency.
- Experience with configuration management and tooling.
- Hands-on experience with designing, improving and troubleshooting large scale distributed systems.
- Experience with setting technical and business metrics and make data driven decisions;
Potential career path in IOHK: Technical Architect, Development Team Lead, Business Development
What we value:
- Passion for working alongside people that want to build and deliver high quality products and services using world-class disruptive technologies
- Collaboration and Inclusion: Innovation happens when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust. You will help bring people into the conversation.
- Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. For example, all our code is open source and we share information openly with communities and colleagues.
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision. We offer a dynamic working environment that suits people who are self-motivated and can work autonomously. You will naturally have strong communication and organisational skills and can work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
In addition to working on ground breaking projects, you’ll also get in return:
- Opportunity to work remotely
- Flexible hours
- 20 days paid service interruption
- Paid public holidays
- 5 days paid sick leave
In 2015 IOHK founders, Charles Hoskinson and Jeremy Wood, set out to cause cascading disruption, committed to using peer-to-peer innovations to provide financial services to the three billion people who don’t have them. They knew back then that they had to first create a place that was designed to enable such unprecedented ambition. A place where incredibly talented individuals are actually empowered to put their best work into the hands of millions of people to build on and explore new ways of working together. As IOHK continues to grow, we hope that these principles will serve each new person joining our ranks.
When you apply… Please include an up-to-date resume. We also strongly encourage you to include a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at IOHK.
Depends on experience