Engineering Manager, Contract Runtime
NEAR is a sharded, developer-friendly, proof-of-stake public blockchain, built by a world-class team that has built some of the world's only sharded databases at scale.
NEAR Protocol is a developer-first blockchain that emphasizes convenience of development and scalability on NEAR platform. The core component of NEAR is WebAssembly virtual machine that runs in a completely trustless and fully deterministic mode, as it executes contracts implemented in WebAssembly-friendly languages using a fast compiler. NEAR contributes a lot of effort into performance and safety optimizations of WebAssembly VMs/compilers which helps not only NEAR but the entire WebAssembly ecosystem.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager with experience in low-level programming who is intrigued by a variety of open problems inherent to running compilers in completely trustless but high-performance setting, and who likes contributing and collaborating with open-source communities.
This position requires communication with a large number of leaders of other NEAR teams as well as external open-source communities. Your responsibilities will include:
- Working with internal engineers at NEAR and external contributors on improving safety and performance of contract execution on WebAssembly VM, Ethereum VM, and potentially other VM that you would choose to add in the future;
- Collaborate with external communities who are developing important WebAssembly-related components;
- Lead a great team ensuring every role/hire reflects its goals.
- Knowledge of C, C++ or Rust. All of our code is in Rust. We can teach you Rust if you are already a C or C++ expert;
- Familiarity with low-level programming (compilers, operating systems, hypervisors, etc). Knowledge of virtual machines specifically is a plus;
- >5 years of experience
- Experience of maintaining a project
- You should be able to work across other teams like Engineering, Legal, Compliance, Marketing with a shared sense of purpose. No room for ego here. People should want to work with you. Interpersonal skills are a must;
- You should be a great communicator and remain calm under pressure during any potential incidents or juggling multiple priorities. You should run toward problems. Calm, practical, self-aware, and self-confident approach to assessing and interacting with people;
Preferred but optional:
- Contributions to open-source software
- Experience with Rust API design
About NEAR and the NEAR Collective
NEAR's purpose is to enable community-driven innovation to benefit people around the world and its mission is to drive the adoption of Open Technologies. The NEAR platform provides a decentralized application platform that is secure enough to manage high value assets like money or identity and performant enough to make them useful for everyday people, putting the power of Open Finance and the Open Web in their hands.
The NEAR platform, NEAR Protocol, and associated tooling are being built by the NEAR Collective, a collection of the best engineers in the world who work across teams, companies and countries similar to other large scale open-source projects. Core contributors include a couple of 2-time ICPC world champions, 4 gold medalists, a Latin American champion and multiple other competitive programming finalists.
About the NEAR Foundation
The NEAR Foundation is a nonprofit, non-beneficiary foundation based in Switzerland which supports community-driven innovation and the Open Web with a specific focus on the NEAR platform. The Foundation distributes grant funding into the NEAR ecosystem, coordinates governance among participants, educates people about the protocol and ensures that relationships among the community members are as strong and sustainable as the apps they build. It seeks to combine the inclusive care of a community-driven NGO with the at-scale effectiveness of a Silicon Valley startup.