General Counsel & Corp Secretary
At Coinme, we're large enough to make a difference but small enough for your voice to be heard. This means that we are an organization where every person matters. You are part of the success of our business and that of our customers regardless of where you sit in our organization. A human touch in a digital world.
Digital currency can transform the way we conduct business and brings new benefits to both the corporate world and to consumers globally. Coinme is on a mission to help people everywhere understand and use the power of digital currencies as a delightful medium-of-exchange, and be accessible anywhere in the world, so everyone has a fair chance for financial prosperity.
From analyst to engineers, from marketing to client services experts, we're hiring to support your growth and ours – Together We Rise.
Coinme is seeking a General Counsel and Corporate Secretary to provide legal advice on a broad spectrum of legal issues, including compliance with securities, AML/BSA, and other laws applicable to financial services companies; board governance; litigation; and transactional matters. This is a rare opportunity for a growth-minded individual to join a fast-growing organization seeking to significantly impact the financial services industry with an opportunity to positively transform the lives of people around the world.
This role will serve as Coinme’s in-house legal counsel during rapid domestic, international, and horizontal product expansion. This position will report directly to the CEO. You will be the principal trusted advisor translating legal advice into strategic, actionable guidance. This is an opportunity for someone who is highly driven, entrepreneurial, and seeking a pivotal career opportunity to guide an early industry leader through transformational growth.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished, exceptionally astute attorney with a proven history as lead counsel to financial services businesses. A passion for the societal benefits of cryptocurrency and a desire to meaningfully participate in the evolving space is essential. In this newly-created position, you will leverage both your own expertise and outside counsel partners to provide broad support to the CEO, Board of Directors and fellow executive stakeholders. As a key member of the executive team, you will engage all levels of the company’s operations and serve as an external facing representation of the Coinme brand.
Join us and help build the foundation for the future of money.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance across the organization
- Serve as a subject matter expert on applicable regulations put forth by the SEC, CFPB, CFTC, FINRA, FinCEN, and other federal, state and international regulatory bodies
- Collaborate with the market expansion team to drive the international regulatory strategy and help manage relationships with external counsel to ensure legal compliance in all international markets
- Facilitate board meetings, draft minutes, document resolutions and ensure organizational adherence with governing documents
- Serve as commercial IP/IT lead
- Draft and review a wide range of company and vendor agreements and support business stakeholders during contract negotiations
- Support the company with fundraising efforts by providing oversight and compliance advice related to the process
- Oversee any company disputes, enforcements, or legal actions as necessary
- Conduct annual strategic planning for the legal department including budgeting for future legal team members and outside counsel partners
- Provide regulatory guidance to product development teams, review marketing materials, pricing, and ensure compliance with all consumer disclosures and agreements
- Collaborate with executive stakeholders to develop policies and procedures to support lean processes and rapid global expansion
- Provide technical leadership
- Interact with Product and Design teams
- Use and help guide API development
- Create proof of concepts for new features and architectures
- Present easy to understand mobile concepts to leadership
- Help create secure solutions on the mobile platform
- Help create and maintain an amazing CI/CD pipeline
- Add and use instrumentation and logging to support data-driven decisions
- 8+ years of experience serving as company counsel and/or serving companies as member of a U.S. law firm
- Experience providing legal advice to financial services companies
- Expertise in regulatory affairs for a money services business, preferable one that operates money transmission licenses and/or a state-chartered trust
- Highly motivated and comfortable navigating ambiguity within a fast-paced environment
- Proactively look for solutions and better practices to mitigate risk
- Preserving all corporate records
- Creating new entities and managing organization's intellectual property
- High growth venture-backed in-house startup experience
- U.S. based cryptocurrency exchange experience
- JD Degree required
- 100% Coinme-paid health insurance options for both employees and dependents
- Diverse offering of supplemental insurances
- 100% covered Employee Assistance Program
- 401k with up to 4% vested match
- Professional development reimbursement
- Stock Options
- Generous time off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer Hours
Coinme is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.