Research Associate/Software Developer
The University of Nicosia (UNIC) is the largest university in Cyprus and the largest in Southern Europe that teaches primarily in English, with more than 12,000 students from over 70 countries, a diverse community of faculty and staff, and an expanding worldwide network. UNIC is driving educational innovation in the wider region, with activities like our dynamic global initiative in blockchain technology and centres of excellence in medicine and online/distance learning. 2020 QS World University Rankings has recognised UNIC for two years running in the Emerging Europe and Central Asia (EECA) Region, with the University ranking at number 106 and 91 among 1,800 tertiary institutions across 24 countries.
The Institute For the Future (IFF) is a cross-disciplinary research institute at UNIC, pursuing world-class research and education at the intersection of exponential technologies, including blockchain, artificial intelligence and augmented/virtual reality. IFF hosts more than 40 faculty, researchers and support staff from UNIC and partner institutions and, among other activities, runs the world’s first full academic program in blockchain education since 2014 (MSc in Digital Currency, https://digitalcurrency.unic.ac.cy), hosts a large number of research projects funded by the European Commission and industry, and organizes Europe’s premier annual business blockchain and crypto-currency conference (Decentralized, https://www.decentralized.com). The IFF is an equal opportunity employer and all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and business need.
IFF announces one (1) vacancy for a full-time Research Associate position (with Programming/ Software Engineering skills) to work on the EUNOMIA project and to join our technical team of Researchers and Developers.
EUNOMIA is an EU funded project that aims to design and develop a user-oriented, secure, trustful, and decentralized social media platform. EUNOMIA provides tools that assist social media users in adopting information hygiene routines and deciding whether information they come across online is trustworthy or not.
The successful candidate will be employed in externally funded research programs of IFF and will work under the guidance of the Principal Investigator of EUNOMIA and IFF’s Research Manager in undertaking the following activities:
- Ensuring the successful implementation of technical tasks related to the EUNOMIA project, as well as cooperating with the project’s technical team for the design and implementation of the project’s infrastructure.
- Support in research project management and contribute to the dissemination or any other educational activities that relate with EUNOMIA.
- Contribute to any other coding, or system administrator duties assigned by the Project’s Principal Investigator and/or the directors of IFF or the Research Manager.
- Act as the leader of certain Work Packages that relate with the EUNOMIA project.
- Draft deliverables that relate with the execution of the EUNOMIA project.
- Ensure the delivery of all targets to a high quality and within the contracted timeframe.
- Ensure quality reporting of project achievements.
- Liaise with other organizations and individuals (e.g. experts) working in the project.
- Lead or support the development of project coding deliverables, reports and events.
- Setting up and maintaining IFF’s Linux servers and Docker deployments, designing web services/apps.
- Support IFF’s researchers on assignments related to the developed/coding infrastructure.
- Participating to various scientific and research activities of the IFF research group.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and/or postgraduate degree (MSc or MEng) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution - (Only these disciplines will be considered).
- Excellent programming skills (preferable Java, C++, or Python).
- Experience with Software Engineering.
- Worked with Linux systems and knowledge with bash scripting.
- Worked with Docker containers and Kubernetes (will be considered an advantage)
- Basic knowledge and/or enthusiasm for cryptocurrencies, digital tokens and assets, blockchain and decentralized applications (training will be provided).
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Previous research experience will be considered an advantage.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Professionalism, integrity and trustworthiness combined with a cooperative attitude.
There is a possibility for remote work, although preference will be given to qualified candidates who live in or are willing to relocate to Nicosia.
Competitive salary is offered depending on experience and qualifications.
Information and Application
Informal and confidential inquiries about this position can be directed to Dr. Klitos Christodoulou (¯\\_(ツ)_/¯).
For a formal application, please submit your CV accompanied by a cover letter through our online recruitment system http://vacancies.unic.ac.cy/.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
All applications will be treated in confidence.