Senior Backend Engineer
Hi, we’re Monolith. We provide everything one would expect from a financial platform, built using decentralised technology. There’s a wallet to securely store assets, a payment card that can be used online or in shops and a mobile app to make everything accessible to regular users.
We believe in self-sovereignty: we don’t control our user’s assets. Monolith is amongst the first practical authentic use-cases on the Ethereum blockchain.
We’re a high-performance team of around 25 people. Most of us are based around London, but we also have colleagues in mainland Europe. We have freedom and responsibility, a culture that encourages original thinking, offers ownership and embraces knowledge sharing. We have big plans to grow!
Due to the pandemic we’re working entirely remotely. When it’s safe to do so we’re looking forward to folks collaborating in person again — but remote is totally cool too!
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Backend Engineer to join our small backend team. We build services that work — without continuous oversight. Every day we improve our products for our users.
Our backend stack consists of Go and Node.js / TypeScript services, communicating using gRPC. This all culminates in a GraphQL API that is used by our mobile app. We use Kubernetes with the Google Cloud Platform, including its Firestore & Datastore databases, BigQuery, Pub/Sub and more.
Our services deal with the Ethereum blockchain, help manage our payment card, perform our Know Your Customer and Customer Due Diligence tasks and power our mobile app.
For this role you’ll be expected to primarily write Go code, as well as occasionally contribute to our Node.js based services. You shouldn’t be averse to configuring Kubernetes or Google Cloud Platform either if that’s what’s needed to ship.
- You have a keen interest in building microservices in Go
- You enjoying building distributed systems
- You have demonstrable experience building backend systems in a service oriented architecture
- You love creating scalable solutions in a fast-paced environment
- You're committed to writing clean, testable and scalable code
- You're good at breaking down problems into smaller pieces whilst keeping your eye on the big picture
- You possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and thrive working within a team
- You're not scared by complexity
- You have a strong bias towards action and a healthy 'can do' attitude
- You are based in the UK (but we can potentially work something out if you’re elsewhere in a European timezone, please let us know)
Monolith is for you if:
It can be!
Are you excited about the potential to create social change through technology? We're not in this to get rich quick, we want to fundamentally change how the world does business.
Do you believe in strong opinions weakly held, without ego? This industry is too new to have experts. Great ideas come from anywhere and better ideas can come at any time.
Do you embrace the growth mindset and like to be constantly learning? About everything?
Are you creative & innovative? If it has been done before you will do it better but you will also relish doing things that have never been done. You are happy to be experimental, create a hypothesis, test and iterate.
Do you believe in transparency? We treat our team like adults and we really value people who are open and genuine.
Our team members are rewarded well, not only with a competitive salary, but also with:
- Generous Stock Option Scheme
- Private health insurance
- A training & development budget that helps you to grow with Monolith
- 25 days holiday plus local public holidays
- Flexible working hours (we care about your output, not when you rock up or clock out)
- A company pension scheme (naturally)
- Top of the range hardware
- Team lunch on Wednesdays, breakfast on Fridays and healthy snacks (when we're back in an office!)
- Bi-annual company events
- The option to participate in a crypto salary scheme
- Access to a range of discounts and little life extras via Perkbox