Site Reliability Engineer (DevOps)
ShapeShift is the leading non-custodial digital asset platform, serving hundreds of thousands of customers across the world. Since 2014, ShapeShift has pioneered a new era of digital finance, earning a place as one of the most beloved and respected brands in a booming and volatile new industry. The company recently launched its new platform at beta. ShapeShift.com and is now leveraging its resources toward aggressive growth.
Site Reliability Engineer
ShapeShift is the leading non-custodial crypto platform that makes the world of digital finance easy and secure. Since 2014, ShapeShift has pioneered a new era of digital finance, earning a place as one of the most beloved and respected brands leading a dynamic industry. The company offers its users a full featured platform experience via mobile and the web. ShapeShift also offers developers open and extensible APIs and SDK infrastructure from which they build exciting new digital finance applications. Led by industry veteran Erik Voorhees, ShapeShift is building the team to expand the company’s leadership position as the phenomenon of decentralized digital finance expands around the globe.
ShapeShift is seeking a Site Reliability Engineer to build and maintain platform infrastructure for this growing organization. The Site Reliability Engineer will be leveraging Docker container orchestration and CI platforms to ensure maximum performance and availability of ShapeShift’s software services, evolving our metric collection and reporting infrastructure to provide Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of these services to the business, and serve as an ambassador of DevOps culture to our internal engineering teams. The ideal candidate will possess expert-level ability with core AWS technologies (ECS, IAM, VPC, RDS, ElastiCache), Hashicorp Terraform, and CircleCI. This position offers a unique opportunity to help revolutionize the Financial-Technical Services industry simply by doing what you already love to do: Build stuff to run things.
This is a full-time, exempt position, and reports to the Engineering Manager.
Your desire to make a real impact on an organization and the world grows by the day. The ideal candidate will be open to daily changes in workflow and protocol (and force us to improve workflows). As a start-up in an evolving space, there are new challenges that require new solutions every day.
GOALS OF POSITION
- Maintain maximum reliability and uptime of business-critical services.
- Provision new systems, maintain existing systems, and migrate legacy systems to new infrastructure.
- Provide insight into business and infrastructure performance via development, implementation, and monitoring of software-based Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Triage and resolve unplanned issues as they arise.
- Categorize, generate acceptance criteria for, and create action items for new, unplanned work requirements.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- Proven experience maintaining a complex, microservice-based architecture.
- Ability to fabricate achievable, deliverable action items from monolithic business requirements.
- Ability to constructively and empathetically communicate with your customer base, consisting of software engineering teams with varying ranges of technical expertise.
- Ability to work independently, enthusiastically, and creatively.
- Ability to effectively communicate with your peers with empathy and perspective.
- A strong sense of responsibility, ownership, and integrity of character.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Professional experience with Linux in a high volume, high-availability environment.
- Proficiency using Hashicorp Terraform to provision and manage infrastructure in AWS.
- Strong literacy and experience with Docker and Kubernetes (Amazon ECS is a plus).
- Proficiency at deploying and managing infrastructure and software with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery tooling (CircleCI).
- Deep understanding of AWS core technologies (ECS/EC2, VPC, IAM, ALB, RDS, ElastiCache).
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Experience operating blockchain clients or nodes (bitcoind, parity, geth).
- Familiarity with financial markets and terminology, exchange and trade platforms, and matching engines.
- Experience with metric collection and visualization platforms (Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog, etc).
- Experience with MEAN stack (Mongo, Express.js, Angular, NodeJS).
- Experience using JIRA for Agile process-driven development.
No travel is required for this position.
Being available for an on-call rotation in the event of a crisis is desirable -- actually being summoned after-hours is a rarity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle or feel controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
ShapeShift is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.