Sr Director, Crypto/BC Risk & Compliance
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 392 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
This role will serve as the Second Line of Defense primary point of contact and business partner for the Blockchain and Digital Cryptocurrency (BCDC) business unit. The BCDC team focused on ensuring end-to-end management of PayPal’s underlying product, technology infrastructure, partnerships and regulatory foundations for digital assets to help enable our support of existing capabilities and markets, as well as drive continued growth in the space. This role will work directly with Senior Leadership in the business to identify and mitigate risk, advise on business strategy, and ensure PayPal meets its regulatory obligations. This senior leadership position is responsible for second line oversight of the Business Unit’s execution of PayPal’s Risk and Compliance Management Program, driving a data-driven approach that meets the PayPal global framework.
The individual in this role will:
- Provide subject matter expertise to the PayPal senior leadership regarding identifying, assessing, prioritizing, and how to manage risk.
- Be a contributor in business strategy development. Understanding internal and external influences and the business climate, and decision and execute accordingly.
- Collaborate with team members to evaluate and risk assess new and novel products and services.
- Support the growth and development of a new business segment, including operationalization of the Risk & Compliance Program requirements.
- Deliver advice based on a wide breadth of competencies across risk domains (e.g., operational, financial, strategic, technology regulatory).
- Engage key Risk and Compliance program stakeholders to help support business unit initiatives and to execute program requirements.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, propose solutions to resolve issues, and providing guidance for future avoidance of similar issues.
- Review results of Compliance Risk Assessments and provide effective challenge. Identify areas of improvement and drive implementation.
- Ensure regulatory requirements are understood and complied with, within emerging growth initiatives and new products.
- Partner with the business to understand their needs, and drive solutions specifically around process improvements.
- Provide regular updates and presentations to senior leadership on emerging risks and regulatory changes impacting their products, services, and markets.
- Develop and present quarterly risk and compliance reviews for senior leadership, noting key areas of focus and progress against established goals.
- Serve as a credible business partner to executives and other key stakeholders.
- Provide objective, independent risk and compliance assessments and recommendations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team professionals; strive to deliver exceptional and responsive service by providing risk and compliance management expertise in a clear, solution oriented and customer-focused manner.
- Escalate timely and actionable information to key stakeholders.
- Support management and operations with problem solving on regulatory matters.
- Deep knowledge of global financial institutions, including broker/dealer, money service business, and/or banking compliance, including significant knowledge of compliance risk, operational risk, financial risk, and technology risk.
- At least 15+ years of experience in a large organization including demonstrated leadership in building risk and compliance frameworks.
- Experience in financial technology, payment systems, digital assets or financial regulation
- Familiarity with a variety of financial instruments, including including lending, trading, custodial and non-custodial management of assets, and settlement of those instruments.
- Extensive experience in supporting business partners through the various stages of product development, from ideation to launch.
- Ability to identify risks, including consumer protection, money laundering, privacy, and technology, and support the business through mitigation.
- Law degree preferred.
- Ability to navigate across multiple geographies, including global shared services functions.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including strengths in influencing, conflict management, and negotiation.
- Ability to communicate complex matters in a simple and clear manner.
- Skilled at identifying and recommending cost effective solutions and organizing resource allocation.
- Extensive experience in partnering with and counseling senior business clients, particularly in the context of a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong problem solving and operational process skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to analyze regulatory risks in complex business processes, and recommend controls to mitigate those risks.
- High energy and creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to work in a growing and changing environment.
- Ability to work within a matrixed environment, and cross functionally.
- Ability to operate with strong integrity with the ability to handle projects of a sensitive and confidential nature.
- Strong computer knowledge; excellent MS Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint skills.
- Partnership – organisational awareness, engages widely with peers and seniors across PayPal.
- Innovate – leads effectively in a dynamic, fast-changing environment; challenges convention.
- Deliver Stand out Results – develops decisive strategies that deliver tangible results.
- Execution – focuses the business area on strategic priorities; operates clear, simple systems.
- Enable and Grow Talent – builds capability and a succession pipeline.
- Leadership – contributes to the business leadership agenda; sets business area vision.
What we offer?
- Be a part of a dynamic entrepreneurial team shaping the payments landscape.
- Concrete experience with strategic thinking and on-the-ground drive and execution.
- Future career opportunities with international exposure via PayPal’s network of global locations.
- A supportive environment that allows our employees to thrive and learn.
From the moment that you join our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. We are passionate and proud of our company. It is this vigor and attitude that helps us execute well, every day. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then we invite you to learn more, explore opportunities, and discover a place for you.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected]