Strategic Finance & Operations Manager
Wintermute is a leading market maker of digital assets globally. We manage hundreds of millions in assets and trade more than $3B+/day across dozens of different trading platforms. Culturally, we combine 1) the best-in-class trading and technology professionalism coming from team’s expertise in top tier HFTs from traditional markets and 2) technology startup culture, as we are moving very fast and empowering people to act like owners.
Wintermute provides liquidity algorithmically across most vested exchanges in crypto, across CeFi and DeFi, on-screen and OTC, as well as supporting high profile blockchain projects. At Wintermute, we believe in the decentralization of finance and we believe that trading companies of the future are technology companies, not financial services providers.
Wintermute is a proprietary trading business. We are a Series B highly profitable startup backed by Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and other top tier investors. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for an Algorithmic Trader with strong coding skills (Python) and a curiosity about hft, market making and crypto trading. At Wintermute, you will be responsible for your own “desk” right from the start. You will have the opportunity to develop your own product (trading algorithms, trading strategies), while also getting advice and guidance from very experienced traders and developers, including the founders/management team. You will get a lot of independence and responsibility right away, and you'll learn at an unprecedented speed! No legacy systems, no corporate bureaucracy, no multiple levels of approvals. It is up to you to make an impact. You will act like an owner and your incentives (incl. equity) will be completely aligned with those of the company!
Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the largest players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by top tier global venture capital investors such as Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and others. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Strategy & Operations team
Strategy & Operations is a new team in the COO office of Wintermute tasked with scaling the company to its next very ambitious milestones.
Your role will be very varied and cross-functional. You will be co-designing, owning and implementing strategic initiatives as well as building the core business functions for scale. Expect to be very practical and hand-on!
It is an incredibly unique opportunity to be part of the startup that has already become a market leader in its category, achieved commercial success and is yet small enough (in terms of headcount), so you can make a big difference!
Note: this role is not about “giving advice to management” and “high-level strategy design”. Just like everyone else in the company, you will focus on doing whatever needs to be done to build the company. We do not distinguish between strategy and operations, all projects will be strategic AND operational. The role is also not about “managing others”, we are a flat organization working in high-performing teams, with everyone being very talented and very hands-on. We are not looking for “advisors” and “managers”, we are looking for people who are or want to be “builders”, “operators”, “innovators”.
An opportunity to get:
- All-round experience growing a successful startup from X to Y
- Experience designing processes and scaling operations across a very wide set of functional areas, many of them likely new to you
- Hands-on entrepreneurial experience and experience building things
- Influence on shaping your role: your specific projects and responsibilities will be the intersection of your talents/interests and company needs; there is no limit to the scope of the role
- A lot of personal accountability and related non-liner rewards for results
- Experience working in the most dynamic and exciting industry of the decade in a company that has a very diversified expose to it (you do not bet on a specific token, protocol or product)
A sample range of functional subject areas:
- Finance: corporate structuring, cost of capital optimization, trading operations, supporting our venture investment operations and analysis
- New businesses/product: help setting up new financial products launched across various jurisdictions, help subsidiaries scale financial operations
- Finance operations: set up and scale various financial processes such as automating of reporting & controls, introduction of relevant software tools, accounting and HR systems
- Legal and regulatory: contract design and automation, compliance processes design, developing own expertise and challenging external advisors
- Reporting & analytics: Financial modelling and reporting, investor updates, investor audits
- Ad hoc: high-level strategic and operational projects
Hard Skills Requirements
- 3-7 years experience in a high-performance environment, such as management consulting, investment banking, PE, VC-backed startup, law firm, etc
- Top tier MBA may be a plus but isn’t necessary
- Strong problem solving skills, both quantitative and qualitative – we will test
- Strong communication skills - be able to communicate clearly, concisely and listen well
- Ability and interest to learn about new technologies fast, both on conceptual (e.g. how DeFi protocols work) and hands-on (how to use automation tools) levels
- Curiosity in the world of finance, trading, blockchain, and cryptocurrencies; if you are not interested to follow the industry in spare time “because it’s fascinating”, it will be hard to keep up
- Ability to see the big picture, design processes from scratch and break down big strategic projects into small executable steps (and execute them too)
- Results-driven and ability to get things done in a fast and efficient way, good at making sure the "trains run on time"
- A healthy level of self-awareness and ability to learn on own mistakes
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Ownership mentality, prepared to work well beyond 9-to-5 to achieve what is required for the business
- Like working in the team environment working from our London office (as much as Covid restrictions allow)
- Distinct company culture
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed salary we offer significant performance-based variable pay and private health insurance
- A cool office in central London with sci-fi touch, including own “living room”, game room gym, stocked kitchen, etc (although this is probably a wrong reason to join any company!)
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested in this role
- Do your basic research: look at our website and social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, etc)
- Be candid and direct when answering application questions, do not send us generic copy paste answers; we are looking for authentic people with clear motivations
- If you don't have an obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant or transferable
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you don’t take the application seriously; we read all applications, all your answers and we promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!
• Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth)
• Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical
• Love problem solving, and love seeing the tangible results of you work
• Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
• Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
• Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus working 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
• Like working in the team collaborative environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our office
• A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years longer to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
• A unique opportunity to join a high growth startup and one of the strongest and highest potential crypto startups globally
• Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
• A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch (Singapore office is in the works)
• Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
• Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay
Tips for Successful Application
• Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and this space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or pursues purely mercenary objectives
• Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
• Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute generally and your specific role in particular
• Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions. If you don't have some obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant/transferable
• Prepare to be tested on our hard skills requirements
• Prepare to demonstrate “Other requirements”
• Do your basic homework on crypto markets and what hft/market making/algo trading is
• We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!
Similar Blockchain jobs: