Strategy & Operations Manager
Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the leading players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Wintermute is a Series B startup backed by top tier investors like Lightspeed Venture Partners, Pantera Capital, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, Blockchain.com and others.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $3B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Strategy & Operations team
Strategy & Operations is a new team in the COO office of Wintermute tasked with scaling the company to its next very ambitious milestones.
Your role will be very varied and cross-functional. You will be co-designing, owning and implementing strategic initiatives as well as building the core business functions for scale. Expect to be very practical and hand-on!
It is an incredibly unique opportunity to be part of the startup that has already become a market leader in its category, achieved commercial success and is yet small enough (in terms of headcount), so you can make a big difference!
Note: this role is not about “giving advice to management” and “high-level strategy design”. Just like everyone else in the company, you will focus on doing whatever needs to be done to build the company. We do not distinguish between strategy and operations, all projects will be strategic AND operational. The role is also not about “managing others”, we are a flat organization working in high-performing teams, with everyone being very talented and very hands-on. We are not looking for “advisors” and “managers”, we are looking for people who are or want to be “builders”, “operators”, “innovators”.
An opprotunity to get:
- All-round experience growing a successful startup from X to Y
- Experience designing processes and scaling operations across a very wide set of functional areas, many of them likely new to you
- Hands-on entrepreneurial experience and experience building things
- Influence on shaping your role: your specific projects and responsibilities will be the intersection of your talents/interests and company needs; there is no limit to the scope of the role
- A lot of personal accountability and related non-liner rewards for results
- Experience working in the most dynamic and exciting industry of the decade in a company that has a very diversified expose to it (you do not bet on a specific token, protocol or product)
A sample range of functional subject areas:
- Finance: corporate structuring, finance operations, cost of capital optimization, trading operations, investor updates
- Go-to-market: business development processes, sales operations, product marketing
- New businesses: setting up new business and markets
- Talent operations: employer marketing, events, recruitment & talent processes
- Product: product development (internal/external), product and project management
- Legal and regulatory: contract design and automation, compliance processes design, developing own expertise and challenging external advisors
- Reporting & analytics: Automation, data and analytics
Hard Skills Requirements
- 3-7 years experience in a high-performance environment, such as management consulting, investment banking, PE, VC-backed startup, law firm, etc
- Top tier MBA may be a plus but isn’t necessary
- Strong problem solving skills, both quantitative and qualitative – we will test
- Strong communication skills - be able to communicate clearly, concisely and listen well
- Ability and interest to learn about new technologies fast, both on conceptual (e.g. how DeFi protocols work) and hands-on (how to use automation tools) levels
- Curiosity in the world of finance, trading, blockchain, and cryptocurrencies; if you are not interested to follow the industry in spare time “because it’s fascinating”, it will be hard to keep up
- Ability to see the big picture, design processes from scratch and break down big strategic projects into small executable steps (and execute them too)
- Results-driven and ability to get things done in a fast and efficient way, good at making sure the "trains run on time"
- A healthy level of self-awareness and ability to learn on own mistakes
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Ownership mentality, prepared to work well beyond 9-to-5 to achieve what is required for the business
- Like working in the team environment working from our London office (as much as Covid restrictions allow)
- Distinct company culture
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed salary we offer performance-based bonuses, equity and private health insurance
- A cool office in central London with sci-fi touch, including own “living room”, game room gym, stocked kitchen, etc (although this is probably a wrong reason to join any company!)
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested in this role
- Do your basic research: look at our website and social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, etc)
- Be candid and direct when answering application questions, do not send us generic copy paste answers; we are looking for authentic people with clear motivations
- If you don't have an obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant or transferable
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you don’t take the application seriously; we read all applications, all your answers and we promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!
Similar Blockchain jobs: