Director - Legal Counsel
ShapeShift is the leading non-custodial digital asset platform, serving hundreds of thousands of customers across the world. Since 2014, ShapeShift has pioneered a new era of digital finance, earning a place as one of the most beloved and respected brands in a booming and volatile new industry. The company recently launched its new platform at beta. ShapeShift.com and is now leveraging its resources toward aggressive growth.
ShapeShift is seeking a Director - Legal Counsel who is ready to join a fast-paced organization. This position offers a unique opportunity to gain exposure to various areas of law in a young industry, an assorted range of regulatory agencies, as well as exposure to internal administrative matters.
This is a full-time position, based in Denver, Colorado, and reports to the Chief Legal Officer.
The ideal candidate will be open to daily changes in workflow and protocol (and assist us in improving workflows). As a start-up in an evolving space, there are new challenges that require new solutions every day. Learn more about who we are at ShapeShift.com/careers
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Represent the organization on legal matters as assigned
- Perform factual and legal research and analysis, draft and review contracts, employment agreements, and other legal correspondence
- Advise CLO on potential legal ramifications of proposed organizational policies and procedures
- Protect the organization's rights in its interactions with external parties
- Human Resources governance
- Corporate governance
- Intellectual Property tracking
- Privacy/data security/GDPR legal work
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- Law degree and 3-5 years of in-house or law firm experience
- Superior legal research skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and intellectual curiosity
- First-class interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Privacy/data security laws, GDPR experience
- Corporate law
- Securities law
- Demonstrated knowledge or interest in Bitcoin and distributed ledger technology
- Experience in cryptocurrency, banking, or finance, with particular emphasis on financial regulatory schemes
Feel that you don’t meet the requirements but are still passionate about our mission? Apply! We look for team members whose desire to make a real impact on an organization and the world grows by the day.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
- Salary: $120k - $150k
- 100% Covered Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Time Off
- Parking & Commuter Benefits
- Generous Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Opportunity to be paid in Bitcoin
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
ShapeShift is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.