Tusk Philanthropies is focused on two things: making sure people who are hungry have enough food to eat and fixing our democracy by making it exponentially easier to vote.
One is a problem we tackle short-term every year by running legislation in states to expand funding for programs like school breakfast. The other is a very long term initiative to allow people to vote in elections on their phones (via blockchain). We all know our government and democracy is fundamentally broken. We believe the only way to fix it is by making sure politicians have to represent all voters and not just the handful who currently vote in primaries or donate money.
Btw, we know that there are thousands of worthy causes out there that merit support. These happen to be ours.
Tusk Philanthropies is seeking an Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR) to support the foundation’s ongoing work in driving the development and management of mobile voting pilot projects in local and state jurisdictions across the country. The EIR will be responsible for vetting new and existing technologies and applications for secure, anonymous, and auditable transmission of marked ballots via mobile phone. The EIR will also be responsible for advising, managing, and reporting out on the development of new applications for testing in local and state pilots. The EIR will be expected to serve a minimum of one year and no longer than two years (through the end of 2020). The EIR will report to both the Founder and President of Tusk Philanthropies.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Seek out and vet new and existing technologies and applications for secure, anonymous, and auditable transmission of marked ballots by voters via mobile phone.
• Provide technical expertise, insights, and feedback in the development and implementation of mobile voting applications for pilot projects.
• Analyze mobile voting processes and key performance indicators to support development of best practices and baseline security requirements, and identify opportunities to improve policies and processes.
• Collaborate with the Tusk Philanthropies team, developers, pilot participants, cybersecurity experts, third-party auditors, election administrators, elected officials, and other relevant parties to proactively troubleshoot technology vulnerabilities and security concerns.
• Lead outreach and recruitment of stakeholders to address critics and work with supporters of mobile voting via blockchain (and other appropriate technologies).
• Regularly draft content for the mobile voting blog (in development) exploring mobile voting in the U.S. and around the world.
• Represent the foundation at relevant meetings, conferences, and press engagements.
• Report out on all meetings and activities on a daily basis to Tusk Philanthropies Founder and President.
• Chicago or New York City preferred. Remote engagements will be considered.
• Minimum 20% travel.
• Extensive technical expertise in blockchain and other emerging and existing secure data transmission technologies.
• Understanding of ID verification, authentication, and auditing procedures and best practices.
• Knowledge of cybersecurity issues and innovations.
• Basic knowledge of mobile application development and implementation.
Anticipated Start Date
Consistent with EIR salaries paid at funds comparable to Tusk Ventures.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ with “EIR Application” in the subject line by Friday, December 14, 2018.
Tusk Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of political views, religion, national or ethnic origin, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.