Protocol Labs is a research, development, and deployment institution for improving Internet technology. Protocol Labs leads groundbreaking internet projects, such as IPFS, the decentralized web protocol; Filecoin, a cryptocurrency incentivized storage network; and libp2p, a modular network stack for peer-to-peer apps and systems. Protocol Labs works openly, and is focused on the creation of value at a massive scale.
As an Independent Researcher at Protocol Labs you will...
- Define and map out an ambitious research project and be able to clearly articulate its potential impact on the world, as well as its relationship to the mission and goals of Protocol Labs Research.
- Identify and pursue specific goals and milestones pertaining to your project.
- Create prototypes, drafts, or proofs of concept to test and demonstrate research outcomes.
- Communicate your work to the research community and build collaborations inside and outside PL.
- Participate in collaborative conversations with other independent researchers and help define the future of research at PL.
- Participate in regular remote lab meetings, attend quarterly colocated retreats with other independent researchers and management, and have regular one-on-one calls with a research lead.
- Work in an asynchronous and fully remote team.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- The ability to work independently and reach key milestones with minimal supervision.
- A mission-driven focus on having a significant impact on the world through technological advancement, complemented by a stubborn optimism for the future.
- An ability to pursue unconventional lines of questioning when identifying problems and exploring solutions.
Bonus points if you have...
- Master’s or PhD in a scientific or technical field (or equivalent experience).
- A history of independent research achievement, including but not limited to developing solutions that garnered adoption or recognition among interested experts (this could be patents, awards, or honors, or having been a founding CTO or significant driver for a well-known product).
- One or more notable accomplishments or discoveries that have dramatically altered the direction of a research lab, organization, or field.