Sr. Eng/Tech Lead — Periscope
At 0x, our mission is to create a tokenized world where all value can flow freely. In joining us, you'll take part in transforming the way that value is exchanged on a global scale. We're a highly technical, globally distributed team with headquarters in San Francisco, passionate about open-source software and decentralized technology's potential to act as an equalizing force in the world. Our technology is deployed by a wide array of projects at the cutting edge of internet and economic advancement.
At 0x Labs, our mission is to create a tokenized world where all value can flow freely. 0x Labs is the parent company of several cutting-edge technologies and initiatives within the crypto space, representing a tight-knit group of teams that work together toward actualizing that mission. In joining us, you'll take part in transforming the way that value is exchanged on a global scale. We're passionate about open-source software and decentralized technology's potential to act as an equalizing force in the world, and our technology is deployed by a wide array of projects at the forefront of internet and economic advancement. Periscope Trading is a special division of 0x Labs. Founded in 2020, we focus on surfacing competitive liquidity into emerging DeFi markets, helping them grow and mature. Periscope typically operates remotely, and team members are always welcome at 0x Labs HQ in San Francisco.
WHO YOU ARE As Periscope’s first Tech Lead, you’ll notably shape our small team's work culture and practices. You thrive in making order from ambiguity, and you're excited about converging on salient, leading-edge ideas in service of generating pragmatic solutions. You can theorize strategies as well as write code. You're highly motivated to advance our aggressive strategic goals of instigating competitive and consumable DeFi liquidity, critical in broadening the overall Ethereum and DeFi communities — especially via the 0x tech stack.You're experienced in managing a small and fast-moving team, and yet remain a high-energy, high-output individual contributor. You're comfortable supervising a remote team with 24x7 market exposure. You're organized and goal-driven. You thrive working independently and autonomously, and you value transparency in providing 360-degree visibility to your team. You're comfortable with economic risks and competitive game theory. You are competitive and driven to win.You enjoy experimenting with new problem spaces and sharing your findings, as well as presenting them internally and externally; and you’re skilled at tailoring your language and visualizations accordingly. Working with experimental and cutting-edge technology inspires you. You find the process of solving problems (and learning how to solve problems!) without a known best practice motivating.You’ll work closely alongside:
- Ron Bernstein, CEO of Periscope, long-time trader, and founder/CEO of Paradex — one of the very first 0x-based "relayers" — which sold to Coinbase in May 2018.
- DeFi liquidity innovators Henry Harder and Liam Kovatch, who, prior to joining Periscope, dropped out of Columbia University to co-found Paradigm Labs: a venture-backed start-up focused on liquidity infrastructure for decentralized markets. There, they led the development of non-custodial trading (Zaidan) and liquidity (Kosu) systems built on the 0x tech stack. Paradigm also operated Zaidan's War Chest, one of the first 0x staking pools.
- Partner with Periscope's CEO and Software Engineers in a hands-on way and with original thought, providing both downstream and upstream mentorship
- Work cross-functionally across 0x Labs with various team leads, establishing productive two-way feedback channels
- Establish and improve Periscope’s work tools, protocols, and patterns; and methods for communicating our efforts and results to peers and stakeholders
- Drive our development priorities and timelines in a pragmatic, results-driven way
- Canonicalize performance metrics and construct dashboards to help internal and external teams mark progress and measure success
- Establish strong security practices for development and deployment processes
- 2-3 years as a Software Engineering Manager, ideally working with blockchain and/or trading teams and motivations
- Knowledge of and passion for crypto and blockchain
- Experience working remotely, and ideally, managing remote teams
- Experience developing production-quality software in Python, Go, Typescript and/or other high-performance languages
- Experience building and scaling applications on public cloud infrastructure (e.g., Docker, AWS/GCP, etc.)
- Experience working with real-time data systems and ETL pipelines (e.g., Kafka, Airflow etc.)
- Experience interacting with Ethereum nodes / web3
- Experience developing and working with highly sensitive credentials and secrets
- Experience with SQL and relational database usage/administration
- Additional cryptocurrency-based compensation
- Comprehensive insurance (medical/dental/vision/disability/pet)
- 401k, HSA, and FSA
- Monthly mobile phone bill, wellness, and pre-tax transportation expense
- Flexible hours, liberal work-from-home policy, and a supportive remote environment
- Meals and snacks provided in office daily
- Laptop, headphones, and any other work gear you may need
- 12-week paid parental leave
- Great office conveniently located in Soma/East Cut, SF
- Unlimited vacation: Take time when you need it (and we really mean it)
0x Labs and its associated entities (0x) are dedicated to fostering diversity, inclusion, and belonging in its teams and workforce, and are proud to be equal opportunity employers. 0x does not make employment or hiring decisions on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression or identity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, national origin, or any other basis that is protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. 0x will also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a way that is consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.