Storytelling is a skill that most people do not possess naturally. Unfortunately, in most avenues of our lives, we need to utilize it. This capability can come in very handy during job interviews, as a recent report by LinkedIn stated that 73% of interviewers use the behavioral interview technique.
In this interview method, candidates are asked competency-based questions so that the interviewer can gauge their interpersonal skills, like written/oral communication, creativity, and adaptability, among others. The best way to respond to such questions is using the STAR method.
STAR is an acronym, standing for:
But what is the star method exactly, and how can candidates use it during their interviews and, better yet, create an impressive and effective resume? Let's discuss this in detail.
What Is The Star Method?
In job interviews, the interviewer may ask a subjective question specific to you. These are typically the kind of questions that start with 'Tell me of an incident where you had to _________.' These can be intimidating for most candidates, as they may catch them off-guard. As a result, the candidate may struggle to narrate their story effectively.
However, there is a streamlined way for you to respond to any competency/behavior-focused question that may come your way during an interview, and that is the STAR answer method. It is a formula you can use to answer such questions using real-life, specific examples and not straying while telling it.
A star method example would be your interviewer asking you to describe an instance where you had to perform under immense pressure. Using the star method, you can prove how well you perform even under duress, and it helps you take real examples of past experiences.
The way this is done is through:
- Ascertaining the Situation and giving relevant details of it.
- Describing what the Task was.
- Explaining the Action(s) you took to handle it.
- Sharing the Result of your actions.
These four steps can help you efficiently and effectively shape your anecdote, making it easy to share a focused answer. It provides the interviewer with a compelling but digestible account of how you handled a specific situation. It allows them to decide how well-suited you are for the role you've applied for.
Preparing For a Behavioral Interview with Star Method
What Is The Star Interview Method?
Describing the Situation, Task, Action, and Result (AKA using the STAR method) is the best way to answer interviewers' questions about how you handled a particular incident. Here's the step-by-step process of using the STAR method for interviewing:
- Set the scene: First, lay out the details regarding the situation and paint a picture that allows the interviewer to understand how you reached the conclusion. However, keep it concise regarding including random facts that aren't of value.
- Discuss the assignment: You need to describe the task you were in charge of, explicitly stating your role and specifying what you were responsible for in the specific scenario, as well as the objective of the assignment.
- Explain what you did: You will have to explain the steps you took to resolve the issue or reach the goal specified. Try not to share a glossed-over or vague statement like, 'I did research and got the solution,' or 'I worked very hard and achieved my goal.' Give detailed information regarding your contributions and actions.
- Reveal the outcome: This part should drive forward the fact that your actions were able to bear fruit. Try using numbers and discussing what the long-term effects were.
Star Method Interview Questions
Here are some questions you may be asked during an interview where you can apply the STAR method:
- Give me an example of how you are dealing with conflict.
- Tell me of an instance where you were tasked with more than you could handle and how you prioritized the responsibilities.
- What was a difficult decision you had to make recently, and how were you able to do it?
How to Use the Star Method in Your Resume
Besides having the STAR method apply to interview questions and answers, you can use it when creating your resume to make it more effective and help recruiters know how competent you truly are. Depending on your role, you can use the STAR method to note down your experience in a streamlined way.
Star Method Examples
The main area in which you can utilize the STAR method is when describing your experience working in a specific role. An example of a STAR method resume would be:
Customer Support Associate (July 2018-Present)
- Utilized my role working as a customer service representative for a ____ company to identify the rate of customer turnover and reasons. (This specified both the situation and the task).
- Created an online survey to gather data from customers who no longer wanted our services (This specifies the action).
- Worked along with the president of the agency to start a new initiative in the customer service department (This specifies the result)
Community Manager (2020-Present)
Pudgy Penguins NFT
- As a Community Manager at Pudgy Penguins NFT project, I was responsible for managing the online community of collectors and artists.
- I was tasked to increase community engagement and build a positive reputation for the project.
- I developed and executed a social media strategy that included regular content creation, engagement with members through comments and direct messages, and hosting virtual events and Q&A sessions. I also collaborated with the marketing team to create and distribute content through email and other channels to keep members informed about new developments and releases.
- The efforts resulted in a significant increase in community engagement and a positive perception of the project. The community size grew by 30% in the first six months and continued to grow steadily. Additionally, the NFT sales also increased, with a 40% increase in the first quarter alone.
Senior Solidity Developer (2021-Present)
- As a Senior Solidity Developer at Coinbase, I was part of the blockchain development team responsible for implementing and maintaining the platform's smart contract system.
- My primary task was to lead the development of new features and enhancements for the platform's smart contract system, and ensure its stability and security.
- To accomplish this, I collaborated with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and security engineers, to understand the requirements and identify potential risks. I also conducted code reviews and wrote clean, maintainable, and secure Solidity code that adhered to best practices and industry standards. I also contributed to the development of internal tools and libraries to improve the development process.
- Through my efforts, Coinbase was able to launch new features and improvements to its smart contract system, which improved the platform's user experience and security. The team received positive feedback from users and the platform continued to attract and retain a large user base. The internal tools and libraries that I helped develop improved the development process and reduced the time required to launch new features, resulting in increased efficiency and productivity.
To improve your resume, you can consider using an AI resume builder. It can help you to create a resume tailored to the job you are applying for, with the STAR method incorporated, and optimized to beat the ATS. An AI resume builder can save you time and effort in creating an impressive and effective resume.
Using the STAR Method in a Job Search for Cryptocurrency and Web3 Positions
The STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) can be effectively applied in the context of searching for cryptocurrency or web3 jobs by using it to articulate one's relevant experience and skills in job applications and interviews. In the Situation portion, one can describe a specific experience or project related to the cryptocurrency or web3 industry. In the Task section, one can highlight the specific responsibilities and goals related to the situation. The Action section can then detail the specific steps taken to achieve the goals and overcome challenges. Finally, the Result section can quantify the impact of the actions taken and demonstrate how they contributed to the success of the project or experience. By using the STAR method, job seekers can effectively demonstrate their expertise and experience in the cryptocurrency and web3 industries, making them stand out to potential employers.
The STAR method interview and resume format can help you ace any interview. It enables you to deliver compelling answers, showing recruiters that you are fit for the job they're offering. If you're true to yourself and answer clearly, you will have the perfect recipe for success right in your hands.