Crypto Jobs List often receives questions from candidates asking us how they can break into crypto. Most commonly we’re asked about what knowledge or skills are required. Sometimes, we’re also asked about what types of people succeed in the industry.
Both are fair questions.
The answers depend a little on what type of job you want, and of course, with what company. Jobs in blockchain can include anything from technical skills to marketing to community management to creative. The broad range of skill sets in the sector mean there is no single, definite, answer that can cover everything.
That said, we do believe there are some basics of crypto that a person should acquaint themselves with before jumping in.
The first thing we recommend to anyone seeking a career in crypto, is that they hold a genuine interest in blockchain, cryptocurrency and decentralized finance. In any career path you may seek to pursue, holding a real interest in the topic will stand you in good stead.
The second thing we recommend is that you’re willing to be paid in cryptocurrency, as much of the sector remunerates the workforce in this way. That’s not to say that no companies in blockchain are willing to pay in fiat, but you will severely curtail your options by remaining a “no coiner”. Besides, if you’re not willing to handle crypto yourself, perhaps this is not the industry for you.
With that in mind, here are a few of the basic skills that you might wish to master:
- How to swap tokens on both centralized and decentralized exchanges.
- How to exchange crypto for fiat and vice versa.
- Transferring crypto from a cold wallet to a hot wallet, not just from exchanges.
- Managing private keys safely, and understanding private key best practices.
There is also some background knowledge which will help you such as:
- Understanding what a blockchain is and being able to explain it to others.
- The differences between major blockchains, such as how they reach consensus. PoW, PoS etc. Also, the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- What decentralized finance is and its benefits.
- What NFTs are, and how they can be used beyond artwork.
There are some additional tips that can help
- Have a portfolio of crypto-related work. If you have nothing else, perhaps an article you have written with your thoughts on crypto technology.
- Have a presence on social media related to crypto. Twitter is especially useful.
- Applying during a bear market can help. This shows your interest goes beyond the hype and proves you aren’t simply FOMOing in during the good times.
When applying or interviewing for a job:
- Answer all screening questions. Not all candidates do this, and answering every question puts you in a better position than the competition.
- When asked for salary expectations give a range.
- Do your homework on the company involved.
We hope that this entry level guide helps you to gain some perspective on what makes a good candidate in the crypto sector. Lastly, if you’re very keen to gain employment in blockchain, make sure to bookmark Crypto Jobs List - the #1 job site in crypto.