Accounting for Growing Cryptocurrency Advisory Practice
Darien Advisors is a cryptocurrency-focused tax, accounting and advisory firm. Our practice works with start-ups, small businesses, individuals, investment funds that transact using cryptocurrency, tokens, or other digital assets. Our main areas of support are accounting, treasury management, reporting, tax compliance, and tax advisory services.
Are you a CPA/Accountant with experience in the crypto world? Yea? Ok, let’s chat.
Cameron and Faisal here, partners of Darién Advisors, a cryptocurrency, blockchain, and digital asset-focused tax, accounting, and advisory firm. We're not your typical accountancy firm and this isn't a standard 9-5 close gig. We're passionate about crypto, live DeFI, and work with some pretty rad people doing rad things. We have experienced rapid growth since our launch, and we are growing our team and are looking for an experienced accountant to join our practice:
Before we get into the details, let me share some information you probably want to know that might make you leave now or be excited to keep reading.
- $30-$50/hr (depending on experience).
- We also expect to launch our DAO-based profit share starting in 2023 for all contributors.
- Short-Term: 10-20 hours per week
- Long-Term: 20-40 hours per week
Still here? Great. First off - we only hire people who fit our company culture and align with our core values.
- Over-communicate, and then a little more
- Be transparent, even when it hurts
- Self-starter and a desire to learn
- Be curious. We are continually advancing with the curve
- Always do what’s in the best interest of the client
- Have a sense of humor, please
- Significant remote work experience.
- Ability to operate in an asynchronous, autonomous environment.
As we are a crypto-focused firm, this person must understand crypto and DeFi activity such as staking, liquidity pools, yield farming, etc.
Below is a list of requirements: We're not looking for one person to satisfy all the requirements, but looking for a couple of people that are nimble and want to develop with us.
- At least 3-5 years of work experience
- A valid CPA/CA/equivalent credential is a plus
- A data & reconciliation wizard
- An interest in cryptocurrency, blockchain, DAOs, NFTs
- Experience with either QBO or Xero is required.
- Cryptocurrency accounting experience is a plus
- Experience with US taxes is a plus, but not a requirement
Below is a list of potential tasks on a day-to-day basis:
- Reconcile fiat transactions using QBO or Xero but also any latest tools/feature
- Reconcile crypto transactions using Gilded, Bitwave, or also any latest tools/feature
- Post adjusting journal entries for summarized transactions from crypto tax team
- Adjust incorrectly imported or missing transactions.
- Review atypical and missing transactions to ensure a complete population.
- Generate financial reports
- Build balance sheet reporting workpapers for balances on chain
- Ensure accuracy of integrations and data syncs into accounting software
- Draft findings to communicate to the client
- Work directly with team on best practices and client updates
This person will also need to be able to make judgment calls when presented with 1) continuing further to get 100% accurate 2) calling it materially correct and moving on. There’s often a lack of good data and knowing when to stop, pause, and course correct is imperative.
Tools we use that you’ll need to be familiar with:
- Xero or QBO
- Gilded or Bitwave (or similar crypto accounting tools/software)
- Discord (or similar communication tool)
- ClickUp (or similar project management tools)
- Clockify (or similar time-tracking software)
- G-Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, etc)
Short term, this position will be 10 hours per week and we will coordinate a time that works well for all of us. Long-term, this position will be full-time and will have 40 working hours per week. Sometimes there is work to be done on the weekend but we try to avoid it.
Our team consists of 2 partners and 15 contributors across crypto tax, accounting, and operations. Despite being located all over the world in 8 countries, we all feel like family, and anyone who we hire onto our team full-time, we want to be a part of that family. Personality will be a big part of the hiring decision. We also don’t care where the heck you live or work from, as long as you can jam all the same.
If you're interested, let's chat.We will have video interviews via Zoom.
Look forward to hearing from you :)
Darien Advisors provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.