Senior Data Scientist, Risk
Join our small, fiery team on our mission to usher in the Bitcoin golden age.
Shakepay is on a mission to usher in a Bitcoin golden age, where Canadians have access to Bitcoin-friendly, secure, and rewarding financial services. When Shakepay launched in 2015, it quickly became one of Canada’s fastest-growing financial institutions. Backed by top venture capitalists having raised $44M+ and trusted by over one million Canadians and counting, Shakepay is reimagining banking for the digital age. People who choose careers at Shakepay are helping shape a future of financial inclusion, opportunity, and prosperity for all Canadians.
Senior Data Scientist, Risk
Identifying and minimizing fraudulent activity is a critical and ongoing endeavor in fintech, and as one of the leading money apps for Canadians Shakepay is no different. As a Senior Data Scientist on the Risk squad, your mandate will be to conduct investigations and help build fraud detection systems that identify and stop bad actors and keep our platform secure for our customers. You will work in a cross-functional team with PMs, fraud and compliance experts, and software developers in a role with impact across the business and customer base.
- Work with large and complex data sets to identify and solve challenging problems with various analytical and statistical approaches.
- Work primarily on the Risk squad responsible for minimizing fraud and creating a secure customer experience.
- Engage in deep partnership with PMs to define top-level product KPIs, set success and guardrail metrics that reinforce a culture of accountability, and communicate with senior management to align product analytics efforts with strategic business goals.
- Work with software developers to ensure that our systems are instrumented appropriately to log the data we need to combat fraud.
- Manage controlled experiments (i.e A/B/n tests) from design, data tracking and instrumentation, impact sizing, audience selection and results analysis.
- Collaborate with other data practitioners to share knowledge and participate in the evolution of Shakepay’s internal data platform, tooling and culture.
- Assist PMs and other stakeholders in decisions on graduating features from experimentation to GA, and conduct retrospectives to assess overall business impact.
- Conduct ad hoc investigations and make evidence-based recommendations that drive the product roadmap.
- Minimum of 5+ years of work experience in data science or analytics (3+ years w/ PhD).
- 2+ years of experience working as a data scientist in fraud or adjacent roles in financial services.
- Technical proficiency in one of Python or R in a data science context and SQL.
- Experience in experiment & A/B/n test design and analysis.
- Experience conducting deep-dive statistical analysis (modeling, causality, regression, etc).
- A demonstrated ability to manage and deliver on multiple projects with cross-functional teams and a high attention to detail.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Ability to distill nuanced statistical findings accurately to a business audience is critical.
- Knowledge of effective data visualization principles, tools and techniques.
Nice to have
- Experience with experimentation platforms like Statsig (we use it), Optimizely, Kameleoon, or others.
- Startup experience is a big plus, bonus points for B2C fintech experience.
- Experience working with cloud data warehouses (we use Snowflake).
- Some familiarity with dbt (our data transformation tool).
- Interest and enthusiasm for the possibilities enabled by Bitcoin and non-sovereign money.
- Be part of a groundbreaking journey: you'll live on the frontier of financial innovation. Bitcoin is rewriting the rules, and Shakepay is at the forefront.
- Impact and scale: with only 2% of Canadians on Shakepay, the potential for growth is massive. You can help us bring Shakepay and bitcoin to all Canadians.
- Rewarding benefits: we offer competitive compensation (every shaker owns stock options), benefits (health, dental, paramedical, disability, etc), and generous vacation time.
- Embrace continuous learning: ambitious individuals with an insatiable thirst for knowledge will feel at home. Working at Shakepay means you'll be working in an environment that encourages constant growth and development.
- Get paid in bitcoin: choose to take a percentage of your salary in the hardest, soundest money the world has ever known.
- Work remote: work from anywhere in Canada. If you're in Montreal or Toronto, you can also work from our offices.
We understand that potential can be just as valuable as experience. If you're eager to learn, grow, and contribute to the mission but worry that you may not have the “right” experience, we still want you to apply. We encourage applications from everyone, regardless of background and life experience. We’re firm believers that a little bit of slope makes up for a lot of y-intercept.
Please note that while all of our roles are remote, we are a Canadian company and will not be sponsoring visas for this position. You must be eligible to work in Canada to be selected.
Fluency in English is required due to the percentage of English-speaking customers and the nature of our platform, which is available to all Canadians.
Listed in: Web3 Jobs, Remote Web3 Jobs, Web3 Web3 Jobs, Phd Crypto Jobs, Compliance Web3 Jobs, Python Crypto Jobs, Senior Web3 Jobs, Data Crypto Jobs, Startup Web3 Jobs, Bitcoin Crypto Jobs, Full Time Crypto Jobs.