Security Engineer, Endpoint Agents
We don't just fix bugs, we fix software.
Since 2012, Trail of Bits has helped secure some of the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.
Join our Engineering Services TeamOur engineering services team works closely with commercial customers in tech, defense, and finance on quick-response feature development, security infrastructure deployment troubleshooting, security vulnerability triage and remediation, and bug fixes. We adopt and support the best of open-source security software for our work, and regularly contribute enhancements to these projects as a result. We enjoy knowing that our work is making an impact and helping to secure organizations all over the world and that we are delivering improvements to software used by thousands. We regularly interact with the open-source community, collaborate with its many talented contributors, and share the opportunity to hear directly from real users.RoleThe primary responsibilities of this role are developing security-focused software and engaging with commercial clients / open-source communities. The focus areas are endpoint security, security agents, host telemetry, security engineering, vulnerability triage and remediation, build systems, logging pipelines, and associated security infrastructure.Software development will be primarily in C++. The role involves not just maintenance development, but also frequent creative and analytical challenges to design features and review existing implementations with a critical lens. This is an engineering position, where the focus is to integrate novel features into production systems. It does not involve direct operations like service monitoring and maintenance.You will typically work in teams of 2-4 people, all from remote locations, in roughly 4-8 week development cycles. Technical leads will assign responsibilities to you and other team members, and you will develop proofs of concept, prototypes, and enhancements to existing tools in support of a project's goals. You will have opportunities to work for a variety of clients throughout a typical year.Frequent communication with team members and clients is essential to success, and writing about your work publicly is encouraged and incentivized.This is a fully remote position (travel rarely required).The base salary range for this role is $125,000-$200,000 DOE.
- Root-cause analysis and debugging on low-level technical issues.
- Contribute fixes and enhancements to large cross-platform codebases.
- Interpret customer requirements, decompose tasks, and make engineering estimates.
- Design and build solutions that balance performance, security, and functionality requirements.
- Directly speak daily with your team typically within core hours and coordinate asynchronously outside of core hours to organize tasking.
- Describe and explain technical concepts to clients, community, and co-workers.
Requirements & Skills
- 3+ years of experience in professional software development focused on desktop or server software (applications or kernel-level)
- Proficiency in system-level programming in C++ (required) and Python (optional), for either macOS or Windows. Experience with both languages is required.
- Experience applying modern C++ language features in your work
- Ability to work remotely and independently to set goals and find solutions.
- Related development experience in a security monitoring, security testing, security response, vulnerability research, cryptography engineering or other security role is a plus.
- Composure speaking or writing directly to customers to give status reports on progress and to solicit feedback and new requirements.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
Benefits for US Employees
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans including no-monthly-premium options supporting individuals and families through JustWorks.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, free Citi Bike membership, access to a HealthAdvocate, a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and a free One Medical membership.
- 4 months paid parental leave.
- 401k with 5% company matching through Betterment.
- Moving expenses: $5,000 one-time.
- Charitable donations matching up to $2,000.
- One time $1,000 at home office expense stipend.
- $500/year personal learning & development budget.
- Executive coaching for managers and above.
- Options for coworking space (some restrictions may apply).
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year.
- 14 company holidays per year.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren.
- Manage your student loans right alongside your 401(k) in Betterment.
Listed in: Cryptocurrency Jobs, Remote Crypto Jobs, Research Crypto Jobs, Community Web3 Jobs, Operations Crypto Jobs, Security Web3 Jobs, Developer Web3 Jobs, Engineering Crypto Jobs, Executive Crypto Jobs, Python Web3 Jobs, C++ Web3 Jobs, Finance Crypto Jobs, Full Time Crypto Jobs.