Software Engineering Intern
We don't just fix bugs, we fix software.
Since 2012, Trail of Bits has helped secure some of the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.
About Trail of BitsTrail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, we serve clients in the defense, tech, finance, and blockchain industries. We help with their most difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques to advance the state of practice, and reviewing the security of the latest available technology products before they hit the market.Our team consumes, produces, and presents research as a natural part of doing business. When we make new discoveries or developments, we strive to share our knowledge and release our tools as open source. It’s a practice that’s earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom-line growth.Role Trail of Bits is looking for an intern to help us create a web-based interface to our decompilation, lifting, and translation tools. Our newest tool, IRENE, encodes rules and heuristics for decompilation in Datalog, and we strive to make this analysis easily accessible and user friendly. IRENE uses our other open-source tools like Remill, Anvill, and Rellic.Currently, the interface to IRENE is a QT-based native GUI. We'd like to provide a web-based interface to make IRENE easier to distribute and use. We'd like you to develop and implement a way to provide a web-based interface to IRENE.
- Creating a web-based application to interface to the current IRENE decompiler
- Reporting to a senior engineering mentor to discuss progress and resolve blockers
- Write a blog post about your internship experience upon completion of the internship
- High School or College degree not required.
- Experience developing single page application frameworks in React or FastAPI.
- Knowledge of compiler internals.
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ and Python are preferred.
- Clear communicator and quick to participate in deep technical discussions.
- Highly self-motivated and able to drive new projects and attracted to learning new technologies.
- Experience with cross-platform application and graphical user interface (GUI) frameworks.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.