Software Engineer, Search and Discovery
OpenSea is the first and largest peer-to-peer marketplace for cryptogoods (like an eBay for crypto assets), which include collectibles, gaming items, and other virtual goods backed by a blockchain. On OpenSea, anyone can buy or sell these items through a smart contract. The OpenSea team has backgrounds from Stanford, Palantir, and Google, and is funded by YCombinator, Founders Fund, Coinbase Ventures, 1Confirmation, and Blockchain Capital.
OpenSea is the first and largest marketplace for non-fungible tokens, or NFTs. Applications for NFTs include collectibles, gaming items, domain names, digital art, and many other items backed by a blockchain. OpenSea is an open, inclusive web3 platform, where individuals can come to explore NFTs and connect with each other to purchase and sell NFTs. At OpenSea, we're excited about building a platform that supports a brand new economy based on true digital ownership and are proud to be recognized as Y Combinator's #4 ranked top private company.When hiring candidates, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in our culture, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, grow rapidly, and love our work. We also know how critical it is to celebrate and support our differences. Employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences and opinions enables our employees, our product and our community to flourish. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. To help facilitate this, we support remote, hybrid or onsite work at either New York City, San Francisco or the Silicon Valley for the majority of our opportunities.We are looking for an experienced Engineer who can develop and improve OpenSea’s search and discovery features. You'll work closely with Product Management and Product Design to understand how our users explore our inventory and you will architect the systems to most effectively satisfy our users’ needs. You’ll build features that deeply understand the interests of our users so we can engage them at the right time by improving our query understanding, optimizing precision through learn-to-rank, or aiding recall via query rewriting.
What You'll Do
- Augment our query rewriting techniques by utilizing synonyms, spell correction, knowledge graph augmentation, and query to query similarity
- Design and implement efficient ranking algorithms and models that optimize for multiple objective functions
- Evolve our query understanding by combining named-entity recognition models with our user profile metadata
- Develop machine learning models to improve our ranking precision, classify incoming queries, and personalize the results based on a user's preferences and intent
- Help build a highly scalable, highly available, fast, and reliable Search & Discovery platform to index billions of images, documents and other assets in real-time
- Lead the technical direction for search/recommendation query services, search indexing, data mining, search algorithms, visual search & deep learning If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone who is excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of industry experience in information retrieval, natural language processing, and data mining
- Deep domain expertise with search-related technologies such as Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene
- Experience with search ranking quality evaluation and metric-driven ranking tuning techniques
- Strong proficiency with backend development, service-oriented architecture, SQL/NoSQL datastores, and event-driven systems
- Knowledge of end-to-end ingestion pipelines, both batch and realtime, that are low latency and easy to reason about
- Experience with the AWS ecosystem and microservices
- Experience aligning Design, Product, and Engineering goals
- Familiarity with the basic principles and activities of data science—collecting and cleaning data; extracting and evaluating features; designing, building, and training a model; evaluating results
- Efficient, practical programmer with a record of producing maintainable code